A splash of colour


From a wee seedling, and against the odds my tamarillo (aka tree tomato) has finally born fruit. With any luck my second plant will follow in its foot steps (roots?). I only need two dozen red orbs to make my friend's tamarillo chutney - an original recipe from the NZ Womens Institute 1934 (2 doz tamarillos skins removed, 1 pound apples diced, 2 pounds onions, 2 pounds brown sugar, 1 pint vinegar, 1 ounce salt, 2 ounces mixed all spice, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Combine all ingredients and boil for one hour before bottling in sterilised jars).

So while I wait on my tamarillos the small people and I made brilliant sticky red toffee apples - perhaps not the best idea after a trip to the dentist but so very delicious!

The toffee apple recipe is from The Edmonds Cook Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment