Christmas Cake Smells

Making Christmas cake is not a tradition for me, but I thought I would give it a go this year. I like the thought of it sitting in the cupboard and having to feed it with appropriate booze til eating time.

The fruit sat on in the kitchen soaking up the rum for a day or two longer than  necessary as I struggled to make sure I was round for the lengthy cooking time (3 1/2 hours!) but yesterday the planets aligned and I had a morning in the kitchen. I took the recipe from Nigella Lawson's "Domestic Goddess" (similar to this one here) and after a quick bit of crafty wrapping with brown paper to prevent burning it was soon wafting a christmassy spicy smell through the house. Surprisingly simple really.





Making the use of the oven being on I also whipped up a lemon sponge which the kids gave a big thumbs up to -  ahhhhh domestic bliss!?








No comments:

Post a Comment