Getting Started

 When I began to read about how to compost I realised that unless I actually got started I would never do it. The books just make it seem so technical. It is definitely one of those things that if you have seen someone do it then 100 books just won't do. (A bit like making bread!) Then there is the other issue of when it has sat around for a year or so composting away, I have to make sure I use it and don't leave it as an unfinished job.
So as a wonderful school holiday job I escaped outside and dug out the compost from the bin and was delighted to find that although it wasn't by any means perfect, parts of it were a loamy dark black/brown and filled with worms (don't mention the mouse, well the 3 mice.....) I spread it round the garden and felt very smug, something for free and not an awful lot of effort!
What did I learn? Well just get on with it of course, and as a side issue it needed more water over our drought filled summer and probably I should cut things a bit smaller, if I can find the time.

Happy just getting on with it weekend, Blue x

2 comments:

  1. Top tip is to take off the compost bin top when there is gentle rain to let nature help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gardener, I will try and remember to do that in a downpour!

    ReplyDelete